Top 10 Series: Advice for Caregivers in Greensboro
If you are caregiver, we encourage you to read our Top 10 Series for ways to make time for yourself or how to approach bringing your loved one to our Greensboro, NC adult day programs. In addition, feel free to join one of our caregiver support groups or contact us for further suggestions.
And What Do I Tell Others?
(my neighbors, friends and family…)
YOU are making a decision
for the best care for your family member
and for YOU
… so celebrate and be positive!
To live well for as long as possible at home, your family member needs to:
- Stay active
- Have friends, in a supportive environment
- Be able to do as many of the things he/she enjoys as possible
- Have regular health monitoring
- Be stretched mentally and physically, not to lose the abilities he/she has
- Be safe
For you to be able to keep your family member at home as long as possible, you need to:
- Have a break in the stress and routine of providing care
- Be able to remain at work, even if part time
- Be able to maintain your health
- Have professional support
- Have time to handle business matters
- Have some quiet time for uninterrupted rest
- Be with friends; to remain connected to community
Your decision is valid.
This is a win-win opportunity.
Now That I’ve Decided on Well•Spring Solutions’ Day Advantage (adult day program), How Do I Get My Family Member to Come?
You know your loved one best.
Sometimes encouragement to join a new group is needed.
One of those approaches may be just what’s needed
for that encouragement.
Appeal to work ethic
- I’m taking you to work
- Your skills (or knowledge) are needed to do a job or a task
Appeal to altruism
- This is a volunteer opportunity
- The people who are there need your help
Appeal to the social
- To be with friends
- Going to a club meeting
- Going to school
- Going to church
Appeal to health and wellness/fitness
- Your doctor says you must go
- To exercise and stay fit
- To be able to continue living at home
And when all else fails, ask for individualized, creative suggestions!
Just keep trying…patience and time may be required.
A few familiar items from home; a picture of you in the pocket;
Or a brief note of when you will return may be the answer.
Your family member may indicate coming is not agreeable, disliked; however, once at the center the level of participation and the enjoyment often increases considerably over time as new friends are made and a routine is established.
Don’t give up!
Now That I Have a Few Moments – What to do?
First, think about a little pampering for YOU!
- Time to get your hair done – or a pedicure, manicure or even a relaxing bubble bath
- Exercise to energize — try aerobics, yoga, tai chi, or just a pleasant walk wherever … to the Bog Garden or the Arboretum, or even to the mall; perhaps it’s time to join the Y …
- Rest – a full six hours of sleep without interruption may be the best gift possible
- Schedule a doctor’s or dentist’s appointment you’ve been putting off for months
Second, think about your favorite thing to do – and do it!
- Read a book
- Spend time with your flowers, plants and yard – maybe take a master gardener class (you always wanted to)
- Invite a friend to lunch – or a matinee movie
- Spend time with your children or grandchildren – go to school for lunch or attend a special school event
- Reinvest in your favorite pastime – bridge, golf, bowling, needlework, art
- Volunteer for your favorite organization or at your church or synagogue
Third, consider getting all those tasks done, for once!
- Handle business matters, such as legal affairs you’ve been putting off, or taxes, or getting your driver’s license renewed
- Shopping necessities such as groceries or household supplies
- Clean house
- Get the car tuned up or the oil changed
- Catch up on correspondence
Well•Spring Solutions is dedicated to serving participants, their families and caregivers in Greensboro and throughout Guilford County, NC.